Thursday, May 21, 2009

Online video shenannigans!

Well, I've know about Google video and YouTube for some time now. It's hard to avoid it! YouTube is usually my first port of call as I like the interface but Google video tends to have more available if you're willing to look for it as it searches more than just one online video database for you.

I was surprised to see only one front page entry from State Library of NSW when searching YouTube for "state library". A very short one it is too! (see below)



State Library of Queensland pops up quite a lot surprisingly - they must have a team working on online presence! I watched a tour on Strimoo, very lengthy but good to get an idea of how their library is laid out. I was interested to hear they have 24 hour wireless access in areas accessible all night so a lot of people apparently hang around until the early hours of the morning! And the British Library has a lot of conference footage up for public consumption along with some corporate sponsor material which I was surprised to see. Didn't get a lot of relevant material on the "flinders map" search except for this little school project gem which I'm suuuuure little Jed didn't get any help with. :)

Wow! NJ State Library really has it down. They've used online video to project a friendly, accessible and even "cool" image to the public. Absolutely well done.

And I know this may not be the exact type of library video example you're looking for, but it's just too cute. And, of course, informative to young children about libraries - i.e. how to be an annoying client. Although now libraries do have cookies, but still no juice...



For something a little more appropriate, click here. Very good! :)

Worthington Libraries has a very interesting method of keeping their client's interested. Check out their You Tube channel.

Unfortunately I don't have any more time to check out the rest of the library online videos suggested in the Learning 2.0 blog, but I have had fun searching for some myself. I really like how a lot of libraries are embracing online video with a good sense of humor to get clients interested and informed of their (our) product. It's a great, free advertising plan and a good way to keep yourself stuck in peoples heads when they're on the search for information.

I think we should definitely look more into this application of online video.

No comments:

Post a Comment