Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Technorati and Virtual Libraries

Technorati seems to be quite a useful search tool but there are a couple of things I don't like about it. Firstly, it will be displaying nowhere near all the blogs available on a subject you may be searching as a lot of people would not think to get their blog listed and, secondly, it's not useful unless you are quite technical. I was looking at the How do I get indexed? FAQ and found all the pings, links, feeds and claims quite confusing!

Obviously despite all this it would be advantageous for someone who wants their blog "out there" to put the effort in and learn how to get indexed on Technorati. It's just not something everyone is going to know about or feel confident doing, compromising Technorati as a search engine in my opinion.

My search for bookmobile brought up a lot of information on new technology coming out for downloading e-books to read on mobile phones. When I did an advanced search for bookmobile as a tag I ended up getting a lot more focusing on travelling libraries in vans that visit schools! Two very different interpretations. I was interested to see that you can search for blogs that have linked to a specific page. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it would be useful if you could get the results as a feed to see who is mentioning your site in the land of blog.

I only got one result searching for SLNSW2008 which is a little video I think might be linked to the Learning 2.0 blog! In fact, I used Technorati to double check that fact and found that a whole lot of other blogs have linked to that video as well! This is definitely a useful feature to track links back to you. Unfortunately I didn't get a bunch of Flickr images popping up in the search results as mentioned in the Learning 2.0 blog.

As far as LibraryThing goes, I am familiar with the idea already as I mentioned in my previous post. I prefer Shelfari as, well, it's totally free! And I like the idea of having a community created information base. I created an author information page with ease and then it was up in minutes for everyone else to use! The problem here is obviously the same as the Wikipedia problem - you can't trust everything you read straight up. It has been reliable in my experience though. And, as you can see to the right, a blog widget is available as well. :) Here is a link to my Shelfari account.

LibraryThing looks great too. What a fantastic internet invention. Go internet! Maybe we should start an SLNSW Shelfari book club?


No comments:

Post a Comment